- PSUT was established in 1991 under the name of Princess Sumaya University College for Technology. At that time, it awarded a single bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. The Royal Scientific Society founded the University to serve as its academic arm.
- In 1992, the University was officially opened by His Majesty the late King Hussein bin Talal. In 1995, the University celebrated the graduation of its first batch of 72 students.
- In 1994, the foundation stone was laid for the King Abdullah II School of Electrical Engineering, which granted at that time a bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering.
- In 2002, the new title of Princess Sumaya University for Technology was adopted by the University. Also, a new specialization of Computer Engineering was launched.
- The University expanded in 2005 with the launch of new specializations in Communications Engineering, Management Information Systems, and Computer Graphics and Animation, which is a unique major in Jordan.
- In 2007, the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research approved the University’s rules and regulations, and it became a model for private universities in Jordan.
- In 2007, the Master of Computer Science program was launched, followed by the Master’s in Environmental Technology and Management in 2008. The Master’s program in International Business Administration was also added in 2008, run in cooperation with the University of Lancaster in the UK.
- In 2011, three new undergraduate programs were created: Electrical Power and Energy Engineering, Software Engineering, and Accounting.
- In 2011, two new master’s degree programs were launched: Electrical Engineering, and Information Systems Security and Digital Criminology.
- In 2012, two new programs were introduced: Master of Entrepreneurship, and Bachelor of e- Marketing and Social Media.
- In November 2013, His Majesty King Abdullah II Bin Al-Hussein opened the King Abdullah II School of Engineering.
- In 2014, two new programs were created: Master’s in Enterprise Systems Engineering, run in collaboration with the German Jordanian University, and a bachelor’s degree in Networks and Information Security Engineering.
- In 2015, a PhD program in Computer Science was launched.
- In 2017, the MSc program in Data Science was created, making PSUT the first Jordanian university to offer a major in this field.
- In 2018, three new programs were launched: the Bachelor’s in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, the Master’s in Business Analysis, and the Master’s in Smart Systems and Computer Engineering.
- In 2020, a bachelor’s degree program was developed in Cyber Security at the King Hussein School for Computing Sciences.
Achievements and Statistics
From its establishment, the University laid out for itself a path of leadership and excellence and quickly set out on that path. Since that time, it has attained lofty achievements which have taken it to prominence among the body of Jordanian universities. The following are among the most outstanding of those achievements:
- The receipt of the Order of Independence, First Class, in recognition of the great strides that have been made since the founding of the University in 1991, achievements that have been hailed as exceptional both within Jordan and in the region, in addition to its outstanding contribution to the advancement of the ICT and Business fields in Jordan. The University has also distinguished itself in the academic and research fields, and has worked hard to instill its students with the spirit of creativity and innovation, in addition to supporting the local, regional and global market with graduates equipped with a high level of scientific and technical competencies.
- The University offers some unique, high-quality specializations. The PSUT programs that are thus far unavailable at other Jordanian universities include: BSc in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence; BSc in Computer Graphics and Animation; BSc in e-Marketing and Social Media; BSc in Electrical Power and Energy Engineering; BSc in Networks and Information Security Engineering; Master’s in International Business Administration, in collaboration with the University of Lancaster, UK; Master’s in Engineering Management, in collaboration with the University of Arizona, USA; Master’s in Entrepreneurship; Master’s in IT Security and Digital Criminology; Master’s in Enterprise Systems Engineering, in collaboration with the German Jordanian University; Master’s in Data Science; Master’s in Business Analysis.
- Uniquely among Jordanian universities, PSUT administers an entrance examination for all of its study programs, in order to recruit the best students. The rate of refusal to prospective students this year was 60%. This is the procedure undertaken in all international universities. This year, 75% of students accepted into PSUT had an average score of 80% or higher in the General High School Certificate examinations.
- PSUT's focus is on international programs and joint programs. In this field, the University has concluded agreements with numerous international and local universities. These include the GMBA program in cooperation with Lancaster University, the MSc program in Management Information in cooperation with Hasselt University, the master’s program in Enterprise Networks Engineering in partnership with the German-Jordanian University, and the Master of Engineering Management program with the University of Arizona, USA. Joint programs have been developed with the universities of Oakland – Michigan and Indiana according to the (2 + 2) or (3 + 2) system. Students earn a bachelor’s degree and receive a certificate from both parties or a bachelor’s degree from PSUT and a master's degree from the American party.
- PSUT has obtained international accreditation for some of its programs; it holds ABET accreditation for five programs: Computer Science, Communications Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Electrical Power and Energy Engineering. It is the first Jordanian university to obtain this accreditation for these disciplines.
- PSUT has obtained AACSB international accreditation for all disciplines taught by the King Talal School of Business Technology at both undergraduate and Master’s levels. It is one of only 2% of business schools in the world outside the USA, and the first in Jordan, that have succeeded in meeting the criteria. It is also the first Jordanian business school to become a member of at the Association of Asia-Pacific Business Schools (AAPBS).
- The University is distinguished in obtaining EU support for its projects. To date, PSUT has received support for 40 projects and is the grant holder for five of them.
- In 2002, PSUT received the King Hussein Bin Talal Award for Excellence in Higher Education.
- Numerous PSUT students have made great achievements, performing to a high standard in prominent local and international competitions, including the Imagine Cup from Microsoft, ACM programming competitions, and the IEEEXtreme Competition. Some have taken top positions in international forums, and this reflects well in the very high employment figures for our graduates, with over 89 % of PSUT graduates successfully finding jobs. PSUT encourages entrepreneurship and innovation, and focuses on the encouragement and nurturing of Jordanian youth. In 2004, PSUT founded the Queen Rania Center for Entrepreneurship, and in 2017, it launched the Office for the Care of Gifted Students.
- PSUT students have obtained remarkable results in the University Proficiency Exam. The University won 1st place against all other Jordanian universities for the fifth consecutive year at the general level and distinguished itself by ranking 1st among the country’s universities in its taught programs during the academic year 2018/2019.
- in 2017/2018, PSUT ranked 2nd in the HEAC’s list of classifications for the private and public universities of Jordan. The classification system, set by the HEAC to measure quality assurance in Jordan’s higher education institutions, was applied for the first time. It is based on five criteria, reflecting each university's ability to participate and excel in five main dimensions: Education and learning, scientific research, the international dimension, quality of graduates, and academic accreditation.
- According to the QS World University Rankings 2019, PSUT was ranked 1st in the country and 15th in the Arab region regarding the ratio of the number of published research works compared to the number of faculty members. Additionally, PSUT came within the top 500 universities in the world regarding the number of international students, and within the top 275 universities regarding the number of foreign faculty members. In addition, the University was ranked 3rd in the nation, after the University of Jordan and the Jordan University of Science and Technology and placed in the 800-1000 category internationally in the QS Ranking 2020.
- The University takes great pride in its endeavors in programming “Pepper”, the first robot in the region, which was manufactured in Japan and programmed at PSUT using Jordanian skills. Pepper is an intelligent humanoid robot designed to live with humans, who can interact with Pepper in various ways, using sound and touch. Pepper was brought to the University thanks to the dedicated efforts of HRH Princess Sumaya bint El Hassan. Pepper’s coming to the University was revealed at the Eighth World Science Forum in 2017 where it was also announced that this advanced technology would be incorporated into PSUT’s educational system.
- PSUT is the first Jordanian university to establish a “Scientific Research Ethics Unit”.
- In 2020, PSUT took second and third place in the Crown Prince Award for Best Government Service Application.
- The University was chosen to be a Center of Excellence for Library Services at Jordanian Private Universities in the year 2020.