Belal H. Sababha, Ph.D. is the Dean of the King Abdullah II School of Engineering, Princess Sumaya University for Technology, Amman, Jordan. He is also an Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering with the Computer Engineering Department. Dr. Sababha joined PSUT on January 2012. While in Academia, Dr. Sababha has published more than 35 peer reviewed scientific publications. He is the Co-Founder of the Intelligent & Embedded Systems Research Group at PSUT. He is a US patent holder for two granted patents and served as a Chair for two international IEEE conferences. He is a member of various accreditation advisory boards, international conference scientific committees, technical program committees and organization committees. He is a reviewer for several high impact journals. Prior moving to academia, Dr. Sababha has worked in the Automotive Industry. He worked as a Senior Controls Engineer in the Powertrain Controls department at Chrysler Group LLC, Michigan USA. Belal received his PhD degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering – Embedded Systems from Oakland University, MI, USA in 2011. He has taught electrical and computer engineering undergraduate and graduate courses at various universities in the US and Jordan. He has many years of experience in curricula design, pedagogy in higher education and led several teams at various universities in implementing curricular continuous improvement and attain national and international accreditation. Dr. Sababha has extensive experience in embedded systems design, control algorithm design and software development with applications related to Gasoline Engine Controls and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs). He is a consultant in the fields of Embedded Systems and UAV design and control for various governmental and commercial firms. His research concentration areas are UAV development and control, Biomedical instrumentation, embedded sensors, embedded RTOS and CAN networks, distributed embedded systems, graceful degradation in embedded systems, rapid prototyping, and machine vision. Dr. Sababha has served in several senior leadership positions as a Dean, Acting Executive Dean, Associate Executive Dean, Director and Chairman. He is a Senior Member of IEEE and a member of several national and international professional organizations.
Dean King Abdullah II School of Engineering
King Abdullah II School of Engineering
Council of Deans
- “TRAFFIC NOTIFICATION SYSTEM AND METHOD,” Y. A. Alqudah and B. H. Sababha, U.S. Patent Number: US 10,890,462 B2, Jan.12, 2021.
- "UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE," Belal Hussein Sababha, Hamzeh Mahmoud Alzu’bi, Osamah Ahmad Rawashdeh, US Patent Publication Number: US20180057163 A1, Mar.1, 2018 & US 2019/0185160 A1, June 20, 2019.
- "A Single Antenna Direction Finding System for Multi-Rotor Platforms," M. S. Sharawi, B. H. Sababha, H. Al-Zubi and O. A. Rawashdeh, U.S. Patent Number: US 8,907,846 B2, Dec. 9, 2014.
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Belal H. Sababha, Esam A. Al-Qaralleh, Neda Al-Daher, “A New Student Learning Outcome to Strengthen Entrepreneurship and Business Skills and Mindset in Engineering Curricula,” Innovation and New Trends in Engineering, Science and Technology Education Conference (IETSEC 2021), Accepted, 2021.
- Yazan A. Alqudah, Belal H. Sababha, Esam Qaralleh, Tarek Youssef, “Machine Learning to Classify Driving Events Using Mobile Phone Sensors Data,” International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM), Vol. 15, No. 02, pp. 124-136, 2021.
- Belal H. Sababha, Abdelraheem Abualbasal, Esam A. Al-Qaralleh, Neda Al-Daher, “Entrepreneurial Mindset in Engineering Education,” Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, Vol. 23, No. S1, 2020.
- Mahmoud I. Banat**, Belal H. Sababha, Sami Al-Hamdan, “A CAD-Based tool for fault tolerant distributed embedded systems,” arXiv:2010.08933, October 2020.
- Amjed Almousa, Belal H. Sababha, Nailah Al-Madi, Amro Barghouthi* and Rimah Younis**, “UTSim: A Framework & Simulator for UAV Air Traffic Integration, Control and Communication,” International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, DOI: 10.1177/1729881419870937, September 2019. Copy: https://bit.ly/2lJBJTs
- Raghad Al-Harasis**, Belal H. Sababha, “On the Design and Implementation of a Dual Fisheye Camera-Based Surveillance Vision System,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 78, No. 16, pp. 22667-22689, August 2019. Private Copy: https://rdcu.be/bykG0
- Yazan A. Alqudah, Belal H. Sababha, Tarek Yousseff, “Audition Ability to Enhance Reliability of Autonomous Vehicles: Allowing Cars to Hear,” IEEE SoutheastCon 2019, Paper ID 248, April 11-14, 2019, Huntsville, AL, USA.
- Belal H. Sababha, Yazan A. Alqudah, “A Reconfiguration-Based Fault Tolerant Anti-Lock Brake-by-Wire System,” ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, Vol. 17, No. 5, Article 87 (October 2018) 13 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3242178.
- Karam M. Abughalieh**, Belal H. Sababha, and Nathir A. Rawashdeh, “A Video-based Object Detection and Tracking System for Weight Sensitive UAVs,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 78, No. 7, pp. 9149-9167, April 2019. Private Copy: https://rdcu.be/4IRT
- Esam A. AlQaralleh, Yazan A. Alqudah, and Belal H. Sababha, “Reconfigurable Hardware-Friendly Early Termination Mechanism in Motion Estimation for HEVC,” Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 141 (2018), pp.40–47, 2018.
- Yazan A. Alqudah, Belal H. Sababha, “Coded Rumble Strips to Enhance Reliability of Autonomous Vehicles,” The 17th Annual IEEE International Conference on Electro Information Technology (eit2018), pp. 0296-0301, May 3-5, 2018, Rochester, MI, USA.
- Nathir A. Rawashdeh, Osamah A. Rawashdeh, Belal H. Sababha, “Vision-based sensing of UAV attitude and altitude from downward in-flight images,” Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 827-841, 2017.
- Yazan A. Alqudah, Belal H. Sababha, “On the Analysis of Road Surface Conditions Using Embedded Smartphone Sensors,” The IEEE 8th International Conference on Information and Communication Systems (ICICS2017), Paper # 110, April 4-6, 2017, Irbid, Jordan.
- Yazan A. Alqudah, Belal H. Sababha, “A Statistical Approach to Estimating Driving Events by a Smartphone,” The 2016 International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI'16), Paper ID #: CSCI4352, Dec 15-17, 2016, Las Vegas, USA.
- T. Shnoudi*, L. Abu Hadba*, M. Zabadneh*, O. M. F. Abu-Sharkh, B. Sababha, “Digitizing the Content of a Whiteboard to Aid Traditional Educators and Enhance the Learning Experience of Students,” The 12th International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering (FECS'16), July 25-28, 2016, Las Vegas, USA.
- Belal H. Sababha, Yazan A. Alqudah, Abdelraheem Abualbasal, Esam A. AlQaralleh, “Project-Based Learning to Enhance Teaching Embedded Systems,” Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 2575-2585, 2016.
- Belal H. Sababha, Hamzeh M. Al Zu’bi, Osamah A. Rawashdeh, “A rotor-tilt-free tricopter UAV: design, modelling, and stability control,” International Journal of Mechatronics and Automation, Vol. 5, Nos. 2/3, pp.107–113, 2015.
- Yazan A. Alqudah, Belal H. Sababha, Ayman Elnashar, Sohaib H. Sababha, “On the Validation of Path Loss Models Based on Field Measurements Using 800 MHz LTE Network,” 2016 Annual IEEE Systems Conference (SysCon), paper # 1570228256, 18-21 April, 2016, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Mohammad A. Alsmirat, Saleh Yousef Al-Rifai, and Belal H. Sababha, "Reducing Message Loss in DSRC Networks using Dynamic Distribution of Safety Messages over EDCA Access Categories," Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science: Proceedings of The World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2015, 21-23 October, 2015, San Francisco, USA, pp. 690-695.
- Raghad Al-Harasis*, Enas Al-Zmaily*, Hamzeh Al-Bishawi*, Jamille Abu Shash*, Moath Shreim* and Belal H. Sababha, “Design and Implementation of an Autonomous UGV for the Twenty Second Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition,” The International Conference on Software Engineering, Mobile Computing and Media Informatics (SEMCMI 2015), Paper ID: 125, September, 8-10, 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Esam A. AlQaralleh, Yazan A. Alqudah, and Belal H. Sababha, “Hardware Efficient Early Termination Mechanism in Motion Estimation for H.264 AVC,” The Fifth International Conference on Digital Information and Communication Technology and its Applications (DICTAP 2015), Paper ID: 153, April 29 - May 1, 2015, Lebanon.
- Hassan K. Sawalmeh*, Haitham E. Bjanthala*, Mustafa M. Al-Lahham*, Belal H. Sababha "A Surveillance 3D Hand-Tracking-Based Tele-Operated UGV," The IEEE 6th International Conference on Information and Communication Systems (ICICS2015), Paper # 89, April 7-9, 2015, Amman, Jordan.
- Faris Shahin*, Lina Dajani*, Belal Sababha, “Automatic Electricity Meter Reading and Reporting System,” Ubiquitous Computing and Communication Journal, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 1463-1467, 2015.
- A. Elkilani*, B. Elsheikh Ali*, R. Abu Romman*, A. Al-mousa, B. Sababha “Resident-Aware Green Home,” International Journal of Computer, Information, Systems and Control Engineering, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 874-880, 2014.
- Karam Abughalieh**, Waleed Qadi*, Karam Melkon*, Boulos Fakes*, Belal Sababha and Amjed Al-Mousa, “A Compact Portable Object Tracking System,” The IEEE 5th International Conference on Information and Communication Systems (ICICS2014), Paper # 7, April 1-3, 2014, Irbid, Jordan.
- Ahmad Ashi*, Amer Abu Joudeh*, Mutaz Shafeey*, Belal Sababha and Saleh Istehkam, “A PV Solar Tracking System: Design, Implementation and Algorithm Evaluation,” The IEEE 5th International Conference on Information and Communication Systems (ICICS2014), Paper # 118, April 1-3, 2014, Irbid, Jordan. (Invited by the review committee to be published in the IJCAC Journal)
- Hamzeh Alzu'bi, Belal Sababha and Basim Alkhatib, "Model-Based Control of a Fully Autonomous Quadrotor UAV," AIAA Infotech@Aerospace (I@A) Conference, Paper # AIAA-2013-5136, August 19-22, 2013, Boston, MA, USA.
- Belal Sababha and Osamah Rawashdeh, "Evaluation of Communication Induced Checkpointing Approaches for Reconfiguration-Based Fault-Tolerance in Embedded Systems," GSTF Journal on Computing (JoC), vol. 1, no.4, pp. 47-56, 2012.
- Belal H. Sababha, Osamah A. Rawashdeh and Waseem A. Sa’deh, “A Real-Time Gracefully Degrading Avionics System for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” The IEEE National Aerospace & Electronics Conference (IEEE NAECON 2012) July 25-27, 2012, Fairborn, OH, USA.
- Osamah A. Rawashdeh and Belal H. Sababha, "An Image-Processing-Based Gimbal System using Fisheye Video," Computer Technology and Application Journal, vol.2, no.2, pp. 85-93, 2011.
- Belal H. Sababha and Osamah Rawashdeh, “Evaluation of Communication Induced Checkpointing in Resource Constrained Embedded Systems,” The 7th International ASME/IEEE Conference on Mechatronics & Embedded Systems & Applications (MESA 2011) August 28-31, 2011, Washington, DC, USA.
- Belal H. Sababha and Osamah A. Rawashdeh, "Evaluation of Communication Induced Checkpointing on a CAN-Based Distributed System," The 40th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2010), June 29, 2010, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Belal H. Sababha, Hong Chul Yang, and Osamah A. Rawashdeh, "An RTOS Based Run-Time Reconfigurable Avionics System for UAVs," AIAA Infotech@Aerospace 2010 Conference, Paper # AIAA-2010-3414, April 21, 2010, Atlanta, GA, USA.
- Hong Chul Yang, Belal H. Sababha, and Osamah A. Rawashdeh, "Rapid Prototyping of Quadrotor Controllers using MATLAB RTW and dsPICs," AIAA Infotech@Aerospace 2010 Conference, Paper # AIAA-2010-3407, April 21, 2010, Atlanta, GA, USA.
- Belal H. Sababha, Osamah A. Rawashdeh, and Guangzhi Qu, “A Test-Bed for Reconfiguration-Based Fault-Tolerance in Distributed Embedded Systems” The International Conference on Information and Communications Systems (ICICS2009), Paper # 500, December 20 – 23, 2009, Amman, Jordan. (First Best Paper Award)
- Osamah A. Rawashdeh, Nathir A. Rawashdeh, Belal H. Sababha, and Hong Chul Yang, “Altitude and Attitude Estimation from Aerial Fisheye Video,” The International Conference on Information and Communications Systems (ICICS2009), Paper # 419, December 20 – 23, 2009, Amman, Jordan.
- O. A. Rawashdeh, H.C. Yang, R. AbouSleiman ,and B. H. Sababha "Microraptor: A Low-Cost Autonomous Quadrotor System," Proceedings of the 2009 ASME/IEEE International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA09), Paper # DETC2009-86490, August 30 - September 2, 2009, San Diego, California, USA.
- Rami AbouSleiman, Belal Sababha, Hong Chul Yang, Nathir Rawashdeh, and Osamah Rawashdeh, "Real-time Estimation of UAV Attitude from Aerial Fisheye Video," Proc. of AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference, Paper # 2009-1933, April 6, 2009, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Hong Yang, Rami AbouSleiman, Belal Sababha, Ermal Gjioni, Daniel Korff, and Osamah Rawashdeh, "Implementation of an Autonomous Surveillance Quadrotor System," Proc. of AIAA Unmanned Unlimited Conference, Paper # 2009-2047, April 6, 2009 Seattle, WA, USA.
- O. Al-Jarrah and B. Sababha, “PARMA: A Power Aware Reliable Multicasting Algorithm for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” International Journal of Computers and Applications, vol. 30, no.3, pp. 244-250, 2008.
- Belal H. Sababha, “Power Aware Reliable Multicasting Algorithm for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” LAMBERT Academic Publishing, ISBN 978-3-8443-1804-3, 2011.
- Belal Hussein Sababha, "Checkpointing for Graceful Degradation in Distributed Embedded Systems," Publisher: Oakland University, 2011.
Student Journal Papers
- M. Taus, J. Smith, K. Jones, G. Godo, C. Acar, B. Sababha. M. Rawashdeh and H. Yang, “Oakland University Quadrotor,” 2010 AUVSI student UAS competition Journal. "Award Winner"
- Keith Jones, Maurice Farah, Hong Yang, Rami AbouSleiman, and Belal Sababha, “Oakland University Microraptor,” 2009 AUVSI student UAS competition Journal.
Student Conference Papers
- Sulaiman Al Hassan, Bashar Herzallah, Julie Jahshan, Belal Sababha, “The “EYECAP” Smart Cap for Blind People,” the Second Jordanian Student Conference on Communication, Technology, and Management (JITB2014), May 18, 2014, Amman, Jordan.
- Faris Shahin, Lina Dajani and Belal Sababha, “Automatic Electricity Meter Reading and Reporting System,” the Second Jordanian Student Conference on Communication, Technology, and Management (JITB2014), May 18, 2014, Amman, Jordan. “Best Paper Award – Engineering Category”
- Belal Sababha, “A Fully Autonomous Quadrotor UAV,” HM King Abdullah II Royal visit to PSUT, November 26th 2013, Amman, Jordan.
- B. Sababha, R. Abouslaiman, H. Yang, N. Rawashdeh and O. Rawashdeh, “Attitude Estimation From Real-time Fisheye Video,” Michigan National Robotics, April 12, 2011, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
- B. Sababha and O. Rawashdeh, "Communication Induced Checkpointing (CIC) in Resource-Limited Embedded Systems," Michigan Space Grant Consortium Meeting, Nov. 13, 2010, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
- Coskun Acar, Hong Yang, Muawea Rawashdeh, Belal Sababha, Abdullah Al-Refai, and Osamah A. Rawashdeh, "The Oakland University Autonomous Aerial Quadrotor System," Michigan Space Grant Consortium Meeting, Nov. 13, 2010, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
- B. Sababha and O. Rawashdeh, "Modeling and Implementation of Self-Healing Safety-Critical Embedded Systems," Michigan Space Grant Consortium Meeting, Oct. 19, 2008, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.