How can I apply to Princess Sumaya University for Technology?

Students can apply for admission by obtaining an application form from the Department of Finance, completing the form with all the required information, and submitting it to the Deanship of Admissions and Registration.

What is the minimum average required for admission?

The minimum admissions rate for the King Hussein School of Computing Sciences and the King Talal School of Business Technology 75%, while the required average for the King Abdullah II School of Engineering is 80%.

What are the admission requirements?

We are happy to direct you to the Student Guide on the University's website www.psut.edu.jo.

What are the academic programs offered by the University?

You can find all the programs and academic specializations offered by the University on the website www.psut.edu.jo.

Is priority for admission given to students who apply early?

There is no priority for admission based on the application submission date, so it makes no difference if the application is made on the first or last day, as long as it is submitted within the specified time period.

How many selections should students enter?

You should enter two selections arranged according to priority.

What happens if the student does not submit the required documents within the specified period?

The University has the right to revoke the student’s acceptance.

Can I defer my acceptance until the following year?

Admission to a Bachelor's degree program cannot be deferred, but it is possible to re-apply for admission in the following semester.

How will I know if I have been accepted at the University?

The names of all accepted students are published on the University website www.psut.edu.jo

What are the conditions regarding transfer to Princess Sumaya University for Technology from other universities?

We are happy to direct you to the Student Guide on the University's website www.psut.edu.jo.

I am a student who wishes to enter under a new number. What should I do?
You need the permission of the Dean of Admissions and Registration or the Board of Deans. This is only allowed in special cases, such as students who have raised their High School average or if the student has been out of full-time education for a long time.

Does the University provide residences for its students?

There is no private residence for the University’s students, but there is plenty of housing for students near the campus.

Does the University provide health insurance?

Yes, it does.

What is the University calendar?

This is a list of information showing the dates of the University’s academic activities which are of interest to the students and staff, such as the start and end of the academic year and each semester, as well as the fixed periods for withdrawal and addition of courses, and final examination dates. (Please see the University calendar on the website.)

What is the University number?

This number indicates the academic year in which the student entered the University, in addition to the student's serial number for that year.

For example: The university number (20160105) means that the student joined PSUT in the academic year 2016/2017 and has the serial number 105.

What are credit hours?

Credit hours refers to the number of hours a student should attend for a given course each week throughout the semester. Example: Mathematics carries a weight of 3 credit hours, meaning that the student must attend 3 hours per week for 16 weeks in the regular semester.

What is the academic year?

The academic year consists of two 16-week compulsory semesters, including the examination period, and an optional summer semester of 8 weeks, including the examination period.

What is the study plan?

The Study Plan is the whole group of courses that students must study successfully to obtain a degree in their chosen specialization. It consists of University and School requirements, and compulsory and elective specialization courses.

What are the competency exams?
Each new student must take three competency exams during the first year of enrollment in Arabic language, English language, and computer skills, in order to determine his/her level in these subjects. If successful, the student is exempted from taking remedial courses. If they fail, they must register for these remedial courses, each of which carries a weight of 3 credit hours. The hours for these courses are not counted as part of the study plan.

Can the student repeat the competency exams in case of failure?

No, that is not permitted.

Is an ICDL-certified student exempted from the computer skills examination and study of the remedial course?

Yes, such a student is exempt.

Is a student who holds a TOEFL certificate exempt from the English competency examination and study of the remedial English language course?

No, such a student is not exempt.

What is meant by ‘prerequisite’?

A prerequisite is a course students are required to pass before they can study a further course. Example: English Language (31029) is a prerequisite for English Language (31121).

What is the University’s official marking system?

The University uses the percentage system of marking; that is, the student receives a mark from 100%. 

Are the Military Science and National Education courses compulsory for non-Jordanian students?

The National Education course is compulsory for all Jordanian students and is optional for non-Jordanian students. The Military Science course is a compulsory requirement for Jordanian students, whereas non-Jordanian students may take an alternative elective course instead.

Registration is carried out through the electronic registration services available on the University website: regweb.psut.edu.jo. The student accesses the system by entering his/her University number, in addition to the password.

What is the maximum and minimum number of courses for which I can register in a semester?

1. The maximum academic load is 18 credit hours for the regular semester and 9 credit hours for the summer semester. The maximum limit may be raised to 21 credit hours with the approval of the Dean of the School provided that the student's cumulative average is not less than 80% at the end of the last semester completed by the student.

2. The maximum limit for a student expected to graduate is 21 credit hours in the regular semester and 12 credit hours in the summer semester.

3. The maximum load for a student expected to graduate may be raised to 23 credit hours in the regular semester and 13 credit hours in the summer semester upon the recommendation of the Dean and by a decision from the Board of Deans.

4. A student’s minimum academic load is 12 credit hours for the regular semester, and may be reduced in certain circumstances. These cases must be approved by the Dean of the School, and the Dean of Admissions and Registration must be informed in writing.

5. A student may, in the semester of graduation, fail to comply with the minimum referred to in paragraph (4) of this Article.

What is the method of dealing with closed course groups?

A closed course group cannot be expanded, but in case of necessity enquiries should be directed to the Dean of the School responsible for the course.

How can a student change from one study plan to another?

This can be done by submitting an official letter and receiving the approval of the Dean and the Head of the Department.

What is the difference between timely withdrawal and late withdrawal?

Timely withdrawal is the cancellation of registration of one or more courses for which the student has registered during the specified period of withdrawal and addition with the refund of tuition fees.

Late withdrawal is the withdrawal from one or more courses registered by the student after the beginning of the official semester until the end of the 15th week of the semester. The word withdrawn is entered for the course and the student forfeits his right to a refund of fees.

I am a student who paid the registration fees after the close of the registration  period. Can I go ahead and register?

The registration period cannot be extended, but some special circumstances, if submitted to the Dean of Admissions and Registration, may be considered with the consent of the course instructor and the Dean concerned.

When can I exchange one course for an alternative course? What are the conditions for that?

If a student’s graduation is dependent upon studying a course that is not available in that semester’s course schedule or conflicts with the time of another course in his schedule, the Department Council may agree to him taking an alternative course that is at an equal level or higher and is comparable to the original course content.

Can I study some courses in another university?

It is permissible but only through the University and within the framework of a cultural exchange agreement.

How can study be deferred? Is there a specific time period for deferral?

The student must apply for deferral of the first or second semester before the semester starts to ensure that his academic record is marked as “Deferred”. This semester shall not be counted as part of the legal period of the number of semesters required for obtaining the degree. If the semester begins and the student has not applied for deferral, his registration at the University shall be considered canceled.

The student may defer his study for a period of no more than 4 semesters (which may be extended to 6 semesters with the approval of the Deans' Council), whether continuous or intermittent. New students are not permitted to postpone their studies until they have completed a full semester.

What happens if the student absents himself from lectures?

If the student misses more than 15% of the total number of hours allocated to any course without a satisfactory or compelling excuse acceptable to the Dean of the School, he / she shall be prohibited from taking the final examination and the course will be graded as a zero by the University. The student must retake the course if it is compulsory. In all events, the zero grade will be calculated as part of the student's semester and cumulative averages, to serve as a warning of being dismissed from the specialization.

What happens if the student misses the final exam?

Any person who misses an announced final exam is considered to have failed that course. A failing grade of 35% is recorded, unless he presents an acceptable excuse to the Dean of the School within one week from the date of the examination.

What is considered an acceptable excuse?

A satisfactory medical excuse must be certified by the University’s Health Center. The student must submit the requested medical report to the Dean within two weeks from the date on which the student ceased to attend. The Dean shall convey his decision to the instructors of the courses for which the student is registered.

What is the semester average, and how is it calculated?

The semester average is the average of the student’s marks in the courses studied in any given semester, and is calculated as follows:

(Total number of credit hours X the course results) ÷ total number of hours registered for that semester.

What is the cumulative average, and how is it calculated?

The cumulative average Is the average of all courses studied by the student from his / her study plan (success or failure). The cumulative average is calculated in the same way as the semester average, except that the credit hours for any repeated courses are entered once in the total credit hours, and the last mark obtained by the student in that course is calculated.

How can I transfer from one specialization to another?

The student must apply during the specified period shown in the University calendar. The applicant is subject to the conditions of vacancies, the cumulative average in his current specialization, and that his average in the High School level qualifies him to be accepted to the specialization to which he wishes to transfer.

What is an academic warning?

The student is placed under a first warning if his cumulative average is less than (60%) at the end of any semester except for the summer semester. The Deanship of Admissions and Registration shall notify the student on his website page. The student who has been placed under the warning shall redress the reasons that led to that warning within a maximum of two semesters (other than the Summer Semester) after the semester in which the warning was issued. If the student fails to raise his cumulative average above 59%, he will be dismissed from the specialization.

What are the student’s options if dismissed from his specialization?

1- He is entitled to register for two semesters as an irregular student, paying double fees.

2. He is entitled to apply for a transfer to another specialization.

3. If the semester following his dismissal from the University ends, he shall be considered dismissed permanently and shall not be entitled to return to the University.

How do I register my course schedule after I have been given the status of an irregular student?

Irregular students who cannot register through electronic registration services because of their low cumulative average should visit the academic advisor in their School and use the registration form to record the courses they wish to enroll in, and then visit the Deanship of Admissions and Registration to complete the registration process.

What are the student’s options if his average drops below 50%?

The student who has an average below 50% must leave the University permanently.

How long can I legally stay at the University?

The maximum duration of study for a Bachelor's degree (excluding summer semester and any deferrals) is as follows:

1.   Specializations of the School of Engineering: 8 years, or 16 semesters.

2. Specializations of the Schools of Business and Computing Sciences: 7 years, or 14   semesters.

Is it permissible for a student who has completed the University’s graduation requirements with a low cumulative average, and wishes to increase his or her average, to study new courses or retake courses in which he obtained low marks in order to gain a higher ranking?

The student must apply to the Dean of the School to apply for deferred graduation and receive permission before taking the decision to graduate.