Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
As part of PSUT’s efforts to raise the level of its outputs to keep pace with the highest standards of international accreditation from specialized computer and engineering institutions, great efforts were made to obtain accreditation from the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). These efforts were rewarded in 2013 with complete success in obtaining accreditation, which was renewed this year 2019/2020.
PSUT is one of the first universities in Jordan to obtain the ABET international accreditation for its specializations. The Computer Science major at the King Hussein School for Computing Sciences obtained the ABET accreditation, and the process of gaining accreditation for the School’s remaining majors is underway.
About the Accreditation:
ABET is a renowned contributor to the programs of colleges and universities around the world in the fields of applied science, computer engineering, technology, and it is one of the most trusted contributors in the USA. ABET has been providing certificates of accreditation for leadership and quality assurance in university studies for more than 75 years, and accreditation has been awarded to more than 3,100 programs of study at 600 universities around the world.
What does ABET accreditation mean?
ABET Academic Accreditation is an evaluation process that requires academic departments to carry out a comprehensive periodic evaluation of all academic activities. The ABET organization runs its process of evaluating engineering programs and specializations by forming work teams consisting of highly-experienced scientists and specialists from the business and academic sectors of governmental and private institutions. During the evaluation process, the team focuses on the curriculum, the competence of the faculty, the standards reached by students, the material and human capabilities, the support the university provides to the scientific department and the School, and other numerous elements concerned with the quality and efficiency of the educational process.
Why is ABET accreditation considered important?
- ABET accreditation ensures confidence that the academic program has met the basic criteria for preparing graduates for entry into the STEM fields that have become a crucial requirement for the global job market.
- Graduates from an ABET accredited program have a strong educational foundation and are able to keep pace with the accelerated pace of technological innovations and developments.
- Accreditation assists students and their parents in choosing a reliable major, as it guarantees to students that their educational experience meets international standards for learning and technical education in the professional field.
- Accreditation gives companies and employers the opportunity to choose and employ graduates in the knowledge that those graduates have been taught the specialization according to international standards.
- It increases graduate employment opportunities as multinational companies require graduation from an accredited program.
- Registrars and the bodies that issue licenses and certificates can use the accreditation to select applicants for these licenses and certificates.
- Accreditation helps universities and departments in setting up an organized mechanism to assess and develop the quality of their programs.
- For further information, please visit: http://www.abet.org