The Coordination Unit for Service Courses was established in the academic year 2013 as a replacement for the Department of Arts and Human Sciences. The Unit is directly supervised by the Vice President for Academic Affairs, Prof. Mashhoor Al-Refai. The Unit offers mandatory university requirement courses as well as elective courses in Human Sciences for all students at the University. The Unit aims to:
- Provide the University’s students with service courses such as language courses, Arab and Islamic culture, introduction to philosophy, as well as other self-learning courses.
- Develop students' academic awareness and achievement in a way that promotes excellence and high quality education.
- Prepare the University’s students for professional careers through effective learning and adapting to contemporary curricula.
- Preserve the national and cultural identity and utilize it in facing knowledge, the science race, and the effects of globalization.
- Preserve the Arabic language, linguistic heritage, and Arab civilization.
Through the courses it provides, the Unit seeks to contribute to shaping students’ abilities, skills and knowledge as follows:
- Develop students' critical and creative thinking skills.
- Encourage the study of other cultures and their ways of thinking.
- Introduce students to the aesthetics of Arabic Literature and its heritage.
- Introduce students to the status quo in the Arab world, discussing and analyzing it objectively.
- Provide students with basic and advanced knowledge of the English language.